* E-commerce experience; business and technical aspects
* Knowledge management, data management, content, and search
* Customer relationships / account management
* Enterprise-level software, architecture, and hosting
* Process development and re-engineering / interaction of business process & technology
* Management of people, products, and projects
* Enthusiasm for mentoring, teaching, training, and documentation
* Strong sense of ownership and responsibility
* Strong scientific background and analytical / problem-solving skills
NexPrise, Inc. Senior Manager, Hosting Operations and Support July 2001 - December 2002
* Managed a senior team responsible for 2nd and 3rd-level support of NexPrise's collaboration software. Also responsible for 24x7 hosting of ~18 customer installations.
* Responsible for end-to-end selection and implementation of company's first CRM system.
* Assisted in re-architecture of hosting environment to a scalable, high-availability 3-tiered solution (on Solaris, Apache, Oracle).
* Led and project managed selection of a new hosting provider and the migration of customers to a new hosting facility and a new architecture.
* Improved customer satisfaction for demanding aerospace and automotive customers like Boeing, Lockheed, Decoma and Trelleborg. Participated in "customer cure" programs, security audits, bug/enhancement planning, and defined processes and procedures.
Ventro Corporation Senior Manager, Emerging Markets Team January 2001 - July 2001
(Ventro/Chemdex was a publicly-traded business-to-business e-commerce company that provided software and services.)
* Created and managed a department of functional experts who did consulting, product requirements definition, process development, operations and training for newly created B2B e-commerce marketplaces in the areas of customer service & business operations, business systems & finance, trading partner relations, and catalog & content. Defined all departmental roles and service offerings.
* Core member of company-wide methodology definition team. Member of an extended team responsible for corporate strategy definition and business-plan development.
* Company spokeswoman for content services
* Principal inventor on a business method patent titled, "Facilitating Electronic Commerce Marketplaces By Automatically Generating Files From A Structural Ontology Specification" (PATENT PENDING)
Ventro Corp. Senior Manager, Content Engineering Services July 2000 - January 2001
Manager, Content Engineering and Services April 2000 - July 2000
* Created and managed a team of data management and content experts to do consulting, product requirements definition, process development, operations and training for new B2B vertical marketplaces. Also trained content managers in vertical marketplaces. Required a customer service mentality with high standards of service and delivery.
* Acted as senior-level consultant to marketplace executives and product management on catalog and content for 7 vertical marketplaces (Chemdex, Industria, Promedix, Amphire, Broadlane, MarketMile, and Ventro Life-Sciences, Europe). Helped marketplaces understand content business issues, define their content strategy and their data ontology, and worked with the marketplace and engineering to assure a successful content implementation.
* Worked with Ventro business development and with client marketplaces to evaluate strategic partnerships. Reviewed contracts and contract terms.
Chemdex Corp. Manager, Content Engineering and Services November 1998 - April 2000
* Led department to process catalogs from 277 suppliers, with ~1 million skus and ~4.7 million updates/contract prices. Grew the content department to 13 employees.
* Acted as catalog and content product manager. Worked on content/catalog requirements definition, architecture, design, release project plan, and QA plans. Assisted with BRD for data management tools.
* Acting project manager for content. Assisted engineering and content teams through 3 major catalog architecture changes which included heavy data migration. Thorough understanding of complex enterprise software architecture.
* Helped create catalog pipeline management tools. Key participant in design and architecture of a data parsing API.
* Established metrics and metric reporting processes. Instituted catalog prioritization meetings. Member of cross-departmental team to examine, optimize and document all company process flows.
* Internal evangelist for content services. Also responsible for trouble-shooting for all content-related issues in the company.
* External spokesperson for content services. Provided consulting and led two large, complex, high-profile data conversion projects for a partner company.
* Evaluated external partnership/acquisition opportunities for outsourced data processing, data management tools, and other content services. Examined potential of building a subsidiary company to do off-shore or on-shore data processing.
Chemdex Corp. Senior Content Engineer March 1998 - November 1998
Content Applications Engineer October 1997 - March 1998
* Defined ontology/taxonomy, data standards and content offering for company.
* Acted as content product manager; interfaced with engineering and sales to define catalog, search and product display requirements for both the backend systems and the UI.
* Defined and documented content department processes (eg. workflow & pipeline management, data acceptance, catalog parsing, data QA & bug processes, SLA's).
* Participated in e-commerce technology platform evaluation and selection.
* Parsed and normalized supplier product catalogs via Perl. Wrote data extraction, data standardization, and data QA scripts. QA'ed and loaded production system data.
* Worked with suppliers to explain data standards and obtain best quality catalog data. Helped staff and train supplier relations catalog specialists to acquire catalog data.
* Participant on cross-functional teams which examined critical business operational issues and provided strategy recommendations to the CEO and executive staff.
* Met aggressive deadlines in a very unstable environment and consistently produced high quality output. Received award for excellent performance.
Verity, Inc. Technical Support Engineer November 1995 to October 1997
* Well-versed in search concepts, theory, and architecture.
* Provided phone/e-mail support for Verity's product line, including the C API toolkit, client/server applications, and applications integrated into web servers and databases. Received many letters of customer praise for providing high quality support. * Senior tech-support engineer; handled escalated calls and accounts, mentored junior engineers, attended product development meetings. Dedicated support contact for large accounts such as Cisco and Eli Lilly. Product specialist for Verity's CD Publisher.
* Acting department lead; managed phone systems, CRM/call-tracking systems, support procedures, queue status, reporting and metrics, web-site review and re-design, customer relationships, and interviewing.
* Developed Verity's first Customer Care CD. Defined an automated support process for two products and created the online support content.
* Planned and taught a two week training course for support staff, plus other classes.
Oracle Corporation Junior Analyst / Technical Writer January 1995 to November 1995
* Technical writer for Oracle's internal knowledge management system.
* Head of UNIX section in Oracle Support's CompuServe forum.
* Bug Manager for Oracle UNIX Support: Reproduced and reported bugs, validated solutions and interfaced with customers and development.
* Wrote a scheduling program in SQL*Plus used by Oracle Support to coordinate callbacks between California and Orlando teams.
* Search technology and concepts; data ontologies, user experience, and integration with Web servers and databases.
* Database design and administration on Oracle 7 and 8i.
* Programming in Perl, SQL, PL/SQL, HTML, Fortran, Unix shell scripts.
* Unix hosting and administration experience on Solaris.
* Skilled with Microsoft Office applications.
* Twelve years of Internet and Web use.
Education and Training:
* Oracle Education intensive training courses: UNIX System Administration, Supporting Oracle 7, Introduction to Oracle (November, March, February 1995)
* Ph.D. program in Geochemistry: California Institute of Technology (until December 1994)
* M.S. in Geochemistry: California Institute of Technology (June 1992)
* B.S. with Honors in Geology: Indiana University (August 1990)